education // collaboration // session work // jamming // projects // tours // gigs // house concerts // workshops // songwriting // arranging // ideas sharing
The idea behind this page is to lay down absolutely everything I have experience or interest in, to hopefully find likeminded people to work with; people who can help with something I’m looking for; or people I can offer a service to. On the off-chance that someone stumbles across this list and an idea is sparked, please get in touch!
I have experience with:
- Folk traditions: mostly Scandinavian, Scottish and American
- Classical music (I have a Bachelor of Music from the QLD Conservatorium)
- Singing and playing on string instruments
- Accompanying vocals with cello
- Comping underneath melodies
- Reading chord charts
- Aural learning, working without sheet music
- Session recording (as a cellist)
- Arranging string parts
- Sacred choral music
- Choral conducting
- Orchestral and chamber playing
- Sibelius software
- Songwriting, composition
- Music education
- Running workshops
I have some understanding/facility in:
- Recording sound, Protools
- Jazz, can swing
- Organising gigs
- Writing grant applications and applying for festivals
- Filming and editing videos
I am interested in:
- Trying to help the world become a more connected and peaceful place
- Persian, Arabic and Indian music. I want to learn sitar!
- Australian Indigenous culture and music
- Language (I speak intermediate Estonian, have spent a fair amount of time working on Swedish pronunciation, learnt very basic Dari for teaching music in Afghanistan, and would love to learn about the Turrbul language, the native language from my home city Brisbane. If anyone knows anyone who teaches it, please tell me!)
- Traditional folk music in general
- Growing the traditional folk music scene in Australia, especially in Brisbane. Generating interest, putting on concerts, running workshops, helping classical string players learn how to adapt their technique for different traditions
- Forming a string group that plays folk music informed by traditions but reimagined in organic and progressive ways.
- “Australian music” as a concept: exploring what that means, does it even exist, adding to it, trying to define it, searching for its unique traits, etc.
- Taking live music to countries that often get missed on the touring circuit for political, cultural or security reasons (eg. Pakistan, Afghanistan, Kazakhstan). Basically the concept behind American Music Abroad!
- Finding trad folk people/communities in Brisbane to jam with and share tunes
- Contemporary chamber music. Performing works by living composers.